Skip to main content

Achilles the Last Airbender // Ian Blair

     As I finished reading The Iliad, I could not help but notice that book twenty-three was quite a bit different from the other books in the story. There is no battle taking place (none between the achaeans and the trojans anyway) and I think that the way the achaeans grieve at a funeral is actually really cool. First, having games in honor of a fallen comrade allows those who knew the deceased to get their mind away from the grief and potentially win something that they can dedicate in their fallen friend's honor. Second, the book shared several similarities with an episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender. In the show's third season, the creators dedicated an entire episode promptly titled "The Beach" to show the character depth that some of the antagonists really had.

    The funeral games such as the chariot race and archery contest were by far my favorite events of book twenty-three, and while they were both entertaining, I can't help but feel as though Achilles was aiming to one-up Agamemnon when he settled the dispute for second place between Antilochus, Menelaus, and others by giving out another prize instead of rearranging the prize order. Going back to the comparison I made earlier, Avatar's scene of Zuko, Azula, and their friends playing a game of beach volleyball with some other kids shows Azula's desire to always be the best when she gloats after scoring the game-winning point:

"'Yes! We defeated you for all time! You will never rise from the ashes of your shame and humiliation!'"

Sheesh, see what I mean? The similarities between Achilles and one character in particular, Zuko, are actually quite astounding, both being born from powerful families, possessing extraordinary power, and even being prone to anger (though they express it in vastly different ways). Ironically enough, Zuko experiences a breakthrough in his arc in the episode, much like Achilles; he experiences a breakthrough by overcoming a lot of his grief for Patroclus. 

P.S. I commented Clabo's and Jackson's posts.

Comments

  1. When I first read the title of your post, I was intrigued because I love ATLA, but I was not sure how you were going to connect the two. However, after you talked about Zuko, I definitely did see the connections. One cool thing I thought about was Zuko's insatiable desire to retrieve his honor, and this is easily seen in the Iliad and the importance placed upon honor and glory in this epic. I also agree that Zuko's shift in where honor can truly be achieved has great resemblance to Achilles in the final books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...