Skip to main content

It Was Fitting, Not a Fan Though - Clabo

You know, as much as I understand how the ending suits the closure of the story, it doesn't mean that I necessarily have to enjoy it. While lots of people then and today know the events that occurred after book 24, I still feel as if I read an incomplete story. It's as if I watched a movie, predicted where the plot-line was going, but it stopped short right before reaching its conclusion. Even with the end being so well known, I personally crave that final scene that would not only conclude the end of the story, but it would also conclude the life of Achilles and his fated death. 

Also, a question that appeared in my head when longing for Achilles's death scene is whether or not the way in which he died affected others view of his honor. I happen to believe that Achilles would not lose any honor because he was fighting as he was supposed to do, but a god intervened and assisted Paris in his demise. If anyone was to lose honor, it would most likely be Paris for taking such a cheap shot against the Achaean hero. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments about this?

P.S. I commented on Ian Blair's and Haylee Lynd's posts. 

Comments

  1. I had the same feeling about the book ending. I believe that Achilles’s death would be viewed in honor. However, I believe it depends on how he dies. If he dies running away as a coward then, he would lose his honor. From the common knowledge of his death, he was viewed with honor. The person to lose honor is the person who shot him with an arrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way. I longed to read the climatic death scene of Achilles as well as the rest of the story. I can see, however, how including more could be too much or cause the reader to view Achilles in a slightly different light. Our views of a character can be swayed easily, and Achilles death would mean the book does not end in his victory, even if he dies honorably. His death and the continuation of the story takes away from him being the main character a bit. Still though, I agree; I would like to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt satisfied with the end personally. I think an open ending that allows us to connect the dots on our own is great and modern TV doesn't really let us use our own imagination anymore. I think Homer did the right thing by leaving us with Achilles honor and victory and that is says a lot about classic Greek culture. Also, don't forget what Aristotle said about saying too much about a war.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a way I appreciated how Homer ended the epic; it did, in fact, grab your attention and make you long for more, didn't it? That feeling of incompleteness is what I believe Homer was going for. It makes us either search through historical texts to see how the story really ends or simply imagine how the heros meet their end. In a society where information is given to us in full, front to back, nothing left out, I enjoyed how Homer lets the reader imagine their own ending to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one quite enjoyed the way things ended in Book 24, Priam finding closure about his son's death even if his city is days away from being annihilated. It is a common theme in modern culture to end stories with a nice little bow on top, but I find that the "everything is all right now" narrative gets dry very quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...