Skip to main content

Jesus in a Fish Tank - Abbie Hedden

 Many cultures have a strong bond to the idea of honor. The Greeks lived and died for honor, and their post-war funeral processions were yet another step to honor their comrades. In Pericles's funeral oration, the first paragraph stands as exposition to explain the cultural significance of the funeral procession. It detailed "cypress coffins are borne in cars, one for each tribe; the bones of the deceased being placed in the coffin of their tribe.Among these is carried one empty bier decked for the missing, that is, for those whose bodies could not be recovered" (Pericles, page 1). In this way, they honored their fallen peers. This is very different from the honor I picture at funerals - a meek, quiet church, with quiet crying, and solem hymns playing on a well-worn piano. Between the Greeks clamoring for the armor of their fallen brothers, and the parade they throw for their dead back home, it's tempting for me to shake off their traditions as silly and outdated. But honor was different for the Greeks, and this image of a parade of coffins, complete with innumerable men and weeping women, would be strange to me, if not for one thing. When I was seventeen, I visited Nicaragua during Holy Week, which is the week leading up to Easter. Though I stayed in many different cities, throughout the entire country there were extravagant funeral processions. There were so many people, motorcycles, tuktuks, and chicken buses that it was hard to see the coffin in the middle of the processions. And the processions were everywhere! On Good Friday, however, I was in the city of Leon, which has one of the most amazing cathedrals ever built in South America. I got to join in the funeral procession and follow meekly into the cathedral, where the coffin was placed in the middle of the room. It was unlike anything I've ever seen. The "coffin" was a clear, plexiglass box, similar to a human-sized beta fish aquarium. Neon light strips were at every corner of the box and underneath the "body". The "person" inside it was a plastic mannequin, like the ones that stand in the front of Old Navy, adorned with a wig and a sash.

It was Jesus. Well, a version of him, I suppose. I was so taken aback when I finally saw him. The picture I saw in front of me would be similar to a Mardi-Gras float, but with a "dead Jesus", and parked in the middle of an extravagant cathedral. It seemed sacrilegious and gauche, to say the least. I asked my translator why they did this in such a gaudy and irreverent manner, but she chided me. It was different than American funerals, but the Nicaraguans throw parties for the people they honor, and who better to honor than their Messiah? Honor looks different in different cultures, after all. I'm glad to learn about honor in cultures beyond my own.


PS Hailey Morgan and Clabo

Comments

  1. I find it very interesting that you say you couldn't see the coffin in the middle of the procession. It reminds me of how it takes several paragraphs of Pericles' speech before the dead are actually discussed. I've always said funerals are for the living, not the dead. Funerals are for people to have closure, to grieve, or to celebrate and hopefully move on. It sounds a bit insensitive, and of course, it is very important to honor the dead, but it is also important that the living keep living, the soldiers keep fighting, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We spend so much time in American culture taking about Jesus's rising and his pain but we forget his humanity. Jesus was fully human and full God which means he died. He didn't just die but we fail to recognize the absolute power in that he was fully dead. "Metherell's gaze locked with mine. He replied with authority, 'There was absolutely no doubt Jesus was dead.'"- Strobel, 200.
    although some still support the swoon theory, I love how lee stable goes into detail in The Case for Christ of how we know Jesus died.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...