Skip to main content

Motivational Propaganda? - Caroline Tucker

 There are so many things to write about concerning Pericles’s Speech. I could write about honor, the view of women portrayed, and the funeral ceremony. I decided to write about how the speech feels a bit like propaganda. The speech read like it was either propaganda or a motivational speech. It could be both. To be honest, I believe that the speech was both. 

Pericles’s Speech was full of statements to encourage those not in the war. He tried to motivate those people to continue loving their state. He does this by explaining how great their state is. For example, he mentions, “For Athens alone of her contemporaries is found when tested to be greater than her reputation” (Thucydides). He also encourages them to reproduce for comfort from grief, for honor, and for the greatness of the state. Pericles says that “not only will they help you forget those whom you have lost, but will be to the state at once a reinforcement and a security” (Thucydides). I believe that this was probably very motivational to the people of Athens. His words hit right where they need to for the people. This is because of the culture’s values. As we have talked about in class, honor is a huge part of their identity. Because of this belief, Pericles’s words would have been very affective. 

My previous statements all had to do with Pericles motivating the people of Athens. But, those statements could also be used for propaganda for Athens. There are many paragraphs of Pericles just recounting all the greatness of Athens. I think he does this to rally the people of Athens to recognize the need for them to go to war. There were probably a good amount of people who were tired of the war. They probably saw that the war was not worth sending their men to die. 

This speech was very interesting to read again! What do you think? Does the speech seem more motivational or more about propaganda? Do you think it is a combination of both?

 P.s. I commented on Haley Riddle’s and Lily’s posts.

Comments

  1. I have to believe it is a combination of both. He most definitely wanted to promote Athens and their progression in the war, but he also had to know that he needed to encourage the tired Athenian people to continue their efforts. I also don't like how reproduction was solely a means to serve Athens and fight in the war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely a combination of both. Honestly thou, Pericles is doing what any political figure would do in a time like this. He's keeping the people focused on the war by motivating them with the good and not on the bad stuff like death and loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's both, however i think the timing of parts of his message could have been better. Grieving families don't necessarily want to hear about how great their country is, they want to grieve the loss of a family member.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was both. he had to remind the people why they were fighting and encourage them to continue to fight despite their pain and loss. It may seem insensitive to draw any amount of attention away from the deceased and their families , but it seems not too uncommon to do in a war speech. Abraham Lincoln does the same thing in his Gettysburg address. He reminds the people that the fallen Confederate soldiers can do is finish "the great task." Pericles does the same thing, and I think it's important to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was definitely both. I am reminded of smarmy car dealers, they want you to see the good in the car without giving you time to become aware of the bad. Pericles acted in the same way by choosing the funeral to kind of push aside doubt and refocus on the good. My mom used to tell me when I was little, relative to fear, "Happy thoughts, happy thoughts just think happy thoughts." while my mom may or may not have been tuned to the speeches of Pericles, she definitely understood the importance of putting aside the uncomfortable thoughts for the sake of progress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...