Skip to main content

They Served Their Purpose - Clabo

 I had two completely mixed feelings about this passage. One views it as being very nationalistic and inspiring of the Athenian people. The other, however, seems just makes me feel as if "Pericles" is using this as more of a speech to draw together the force of the Athenian people instead of honoring the fallen as the typical funeral procession does. Although I know that funeral ceremonies were celebrated very differently back then, something about its focus pertaining more to that of the nation than to the fallen soldiers. I can also see and respect the importance of attempting to focus the Athenian peoples' energy on the war. By gathering their efforts and energy to face the enemy, there would hopefully be less funeral processions in the future. 

One thing that also bothered me was the fact that an individual Athenian's value was basically determined by how much one could do for the city. I guess that is just because now-and-days we place so much importance on the individual that it makes it somewhat difficult to imagine what that way of life would be like.

Does anyone have any similar thoughts?

P.S. I commented on Caroline Tucker's and Abigale Bell's posts.

Comments

  1. I definitely agree, Clabo. I mean, who talks about drawing people together at a funeral, especially on a war where more people will die? Also, the individual’s value is based on how much they did for the city kind of bothered me too. I mean, it is sometimes true that “there’s trouble for all when there’s trouble for one.” (Les Miserables) But at the same time, so much of today’s society places importance on the one person rather than what they do for the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clabo, I get what you're saying. It's weird to see a culture that's so dedicated to nationalism and forsakes individualism, especially when our own culture emphasizes the individual so strongly! It makes me rethink my political priorities, knowing that individualism isn't the only way to function.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that his approach on honoring and referencing the dead seemed to be in the background compared to drawing the people together. I can somewhat understand the generality of Pericles' speech, given the consideration that there were probably very, very many of these "funerals" during that time; he may have felt that he would simply be repeating other speakers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...