Skip to main content

What’s up with Ancestors?—Lily Caswell

                Let’s talk about the ancestors here. I feel like anything related to ancient history has the ancestors involved someway somehow, whether it be Asian cultures like Chinese and Japanese, or Western cultures like Native Americans, and ancient European cultures such as the Greek and Roman societies. I know there are a lot more societies that have very strong ancestral connections but these were just the ones that popped in my mind first.


                Pericles starts speaking by saying that his predecessors (the ancestors) “have commended him who made this speech part of the law, telling us that it is well  it should be delivered at the burial of those who fall in battle.” (Thucydides, 1st page) While reading this, I suddenly had flashbacks to Fiddler on the Roof and the song “Tradition” where it talks about all the traditions of the Jews and how the only reason they do things is because that’s the way it’s always been done. That’s how I sometimes feel about the Greek society and even modern society today, especially in the South. Sometimes we do things because that’s the way we’ve always done them. (I can say this because I am a Southerner.) Then when Pericles actually gets to the speech itself, he starts out by saying that the ancestors should be first mentioned because they were the ones responsible for handing their country (Greece) to the later generations and that they added to the inheritance that the then present-day Greeks possessed.


Pericles states at the end that “When a man is gone, all are wont to praise him”. (5th page) In almost every major society, when someone dies, especially one who has surviving relatives that are generations younger, they are usually looked up to and some are even worshipped. In the ancient Eastern cultures, ancestor worship is basically a given. What is it with ancestor worship? I mean, seriously, what’s up with that? It’s kind of creepy, people looking up to and basically worshiping a dead person. That’s what makes me glad about Jesus. Yes, we worship Him, but He didn’t stay dead; he was buried and rose three days later. 


I commented on Clabo’s post and Isabelle’s post.

Comments

  1. I love your comparison to “Tradition” from “Fiddler on the Roof”. That is a great comparison that I would have never thought of. I loved how you compared other religions’s worship of the dead to Christianity. Christians do not worship the dead. We worship someone who died but rose again and is still alive. We do not have to worship our ancestors in the hope that they will be in our favor. We worship God who works in our favor. In Romans 8:28 it says “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that the worshiping of dead ancestors started out as a way of remembrance. In our day, we have photos, diaries, etc. so we can track our history. They did not have that. However, it did develop into worship of the dead, and I agree with you. It's creepy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...