Skip to main content

Christianity Found in a Cave // Braylan Stringfellow

     The cave analogy at the beginning of book VII was a nice change of pace for me to read in this book. While reading this I couldn't help but think about what my pastor preached yesterday about Christians being persecuted by the world. Like the prisoner that was freed, we as Christians are freed from our prison of sin into the truth of Jesus. As Christians we know the truth, and we should want to tell those who don't know the truth. Like the prisoner, many times we are persecuted by the lost because we know the truth. This is what persecution is. Remember, persecution should be an encouragement to use. It means we are doing what we are supposed to do as Christians. Jesus told us that we would be persecuted. Like that prisoner that went back to the cave, we might be laughed at, or mocked, or even killed. That's all right though; because in the end, we as Christians win.

I commented on Caroline Tucker's and Lily Caswell's post

Comments

  1. I do agree, but I want to point out two connections I noticed. One, I know this can seem dark but the "because in the end, we as Christians win." was one of the things Hitler used consistently to rally the Nazi party ( I am not calling you or anyone a Nazi of course, simply showing the hidden danger in something). Secondly, your connection is accurate and Socrates even uses the word "crucify" in the text. This was even before Jesus was crucified, which is mind boggling! So also as Socrates says, if you are a perfectly just man, you must strive to seem unjust. You should use your knowledge to help people come to the light, but not share it around or you're just going to get persecuted. Which isn't the most effective way of saving people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Braylan! I definitely agree with your post. I think it is important to remember that we are called to return to the cave (metaphorically speaking) and help those who are lost. After all, we were once just like the other prisoners. I think another thing to remember is that when we are persecuted, it is by those who can't see clearly; those who are still living in darkness. We should lovingly pull them toward the light.

    ReplyDelete

  3. That is fantastic. There is so much depth that can be dived into there because those in darkness aren't aware of what utter darkness they dwell in because it is all they have known. In a similar way those of us within the grasp of sin nature don't know anything better until we meet the blood of Jesus Christ. I know from my personal experience sometimes we can inundate ourselves with worldly influence so much so that we start to forget the light we were shown. Even Christians can still fall back to sin but we definitely have to be more aware.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...