Skip to main content

What Changes us - Caroline Tucker

 I am very confident that I can correctly assume that growing up we all were told to be careful of who we surround ourselves with. This is something we hear both at home and in the church. We even hear Socrates mention it a couple of times.

Socrates mentions the impact of good and bad company multiple times through out The Republic. The time that coincides with this particular blog assignment is in book VIII when it is said “The son is drawn once again to the same bad companions. He meets them clandestinely, and a whole new brood of desires is hatched” (Plato, 151). My entire life my parents have been invested in my friendships, always asking about my friends and how the relationship is going. Looking back at my life I realized that there were some friendships I had which were not completely healthy for me. I am so grateful that my parents would watch those friendships carefully but would let me make the decision to end the friendship if I wanted to. Thankfully, my parents trained me well and I eventually realized that those friendships were bad for me and they were changing me in a way I did not want to go.

We are all influenced by what we are around. It could be anything from music, tv, book, and people. This is why it is so important to be aware of the people and things that influence you. All throughout the Bible it is mentioned the importance of your companions. In Proverbs it says, “He who walks with wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will be destroyed” (Prov. 13:20). The Bible stresses the importance of keeping good company. The people around you can change you for good or for bad. This is not to say that you cannot be friends with people who could influence you in a bad way. We just have to be carful not to let them influence us but rather let us influence them.

One of my favorite quotes is by Dr. Jay Strack at Student Leadership University 101 and I think it is very important to this post. The quote is “You will be the same person five years from now except for the books you read, the places you go, the people you meet, and what you memorize.” This quote is a great place to conclude. This quote encompasses the importance of the things you surround yourself with. These things will change you. They can either change you for the better or for the worse. 

P.s. I commented on Racheal’s and Clabo’s posts.

Comments

  1. My parents were the same way with my friends. They were very involved with my friendships, and there were times when my mom would come to me about some of them. I didn't always listen to her though, and there are times I wish I did.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...