Skip to main content

A "Grievous Sin" // Haley Riddle

       Augustine, why music?! As I mull over chapter 10 book 33 of Augustine's Confessions, I can't help but roll my eyes just a little. I mean, yes, as Christians we should honor Christ in everything, but if my interpretation is accurate then according to Augustine I can't enjoy music just for the beauty of it. On page 239 Augustine says, "Yet when I find the singing itself more moving than the truth which it conveys, I confess that this is a grievous sin, and at those times I would prefer not to hear the singer." Okay. In some aspects I agree with this. I agree that if a singer is singing a worship song it is important for the listener to focus on the truth being sung. However, I think Augustine needs to calm down a little. I believe God gives us earthly blessings that we can enjoy, one being music. I think that as long as we know that God is the Creator of all things good and we thank Him for those blessings, it is not a "grievous sin" to enjoy them. I am not totally sure where I stand on this argument, actually, because as I said in a previous post, I think it is important that an artist who writes worship music should focus less on the sound and more on the meaning. At the same time, I think we are allowed to enjoy music for its sound. 

Please please please tell me what you think about this idea!



Commented on Micah and Logan's posts


Augustine. Confessions (Classics) (p. 239). Penguin Books Ltd. Kindle Edition. 

Comments

  1. I agree, a life completely rid of sensual pleasures is very boring. Most people who preach what Augustine does don't live it out in any way ( and from Augustine's book we can see that he didn't either)… "Beware the preachers" as said in Charles Bukowski poem "The Genius of the Crowd". So with this in mind, I believe that it's important to balance sensual pleasures as you said. In his early years, Augustine was so over took by these pleasures that it now seems clear why he made such an exaggeration, but everyone isn't like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Haley! I totally agree with you! I think it is important to make sure our focus is rightly centered on God when we worship. However, I think music SHOULD be appreciated for its beauty. It can be something which points us to God. Even Augustine said music was the thing that drew him into the church in the first place. It can be something which we use to draw closer to God. Augustine seems to struggle with the issue of overindulgence. He blurs the line between appreciating beauty in music, and allowing that to overwhelm his focus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you, Haley. St. Augustine has me feeling like I'm recanting my blog post from last week too. I'm convinced he either had a severe guilt complex where he felt convicted for everything he found pleasure in, or he merely believed in eudaimonism-the belief that happiness only comes from a meaningful life and that a pleasurable life should be avoided. While I want a meaningful life over a pleasure-filled life as well, I do not think pleasure should be written out completely as long as it doesn't dishonor or displease God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...