Skip to main content

Are We Living on a Sponge? - Kaitlyn Terry

    In book VII, Augustine starts by trying to wrap his mind around the fact that God has no substance, yet still exists. He takes this concept head-on, something that we still struggle with today. We as a collective don't really understand it, so we largely just try to keep from thinking about it. Augustine kind of does the opposite. He takes it head-on and tries to come to terms with it right then and there. From there he, naturally, dives into several more internal debates and questions. 

    I find one of these particularly notable. He begins to try to understand the existence of evil if all was created by a good God. He compares God to a vast infinite ocean and the earth to a large but finite sponge. This allows the goodness of God to flow completely through the sponge. As he debates the existence of God and evil, he realizes the flaws in his imagery. He seems to focus largely through this book on how he imagines God and how he must not even begin to try to imagine God because he simply cannot be imagined. Augustine seems to take some very revolutionary steps in his debate of what God is and the existence of evil.



I commented on Addison and Abbie's posts.

Comments

  1. I think Augustine realizing that the existence of evil may not even being linked to God in the first place, but him simply allowing it to exist for a time shows that he has grown since his earlier years documented in the earlier books. It's really cool, I think, to see how his thinking mindset evolves from chasing pleasure to chasing answers and truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on this idea that we will never understand God existing without taking up substance in my own blog post, and is something that we likely will never understand. Having grown up Christian it becomes a concept that I no longer question but just accept as fact, because I am unable to contemplate such things; they are simply true to me. Therefore I applaud Augustine for his head-on approach to understanding such concepts; he has tackled concepts I have never attempted to understand.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...