Skip to main content

Cannot Make, Can Only Mock // Abbie Hedden

While I have been known to make too many Tolkien references, I feel like we have to make this connection. Tolkien did not enjoy "The Lord of the Rings" being called an allegory, but the way he portrays the orcs is a great metaphor for evil. They were originally created as men and elves, but as Frodo said, "The Shadow that bred them can only mock, it cannot make: not real new things of its own. don't think it gave life to Orcs, it only ruined them and twisted them..." (The Return of the King, p. 190) They began as beautiful creatures, and were corrupted to become evil. Does that make their Creator evil? By no means. I think Augustine was struggling with how evil can exist while God is good. He is the Creator of everything, we were given free will - that is part of the glory of His creation. While I don't know if I will ever understand the nature of evil and good entirely, I can see how evil is but the absence of good. But if evil is the absence of good, and God is good, and God is everywhere, how can evil exist? I can't fully understand that, and my brain is kind of exploding. I hope that Augustine comes to a more conclusive answer so that I can be in peace about it.


PS Emmet and Braylan

Comments

  1. I struggled with this as well. It has always baffled me that there can be both a good God who does not look upon evil and the existence of evil. His omnipotence combined with the existence of evil has always confused me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The battle of good vs evil and how God affects it is a timeless struggle that humans have tried to understand. One thing that I love about Augustine is that, while he asks questions during his talk with God, he knows there are some things he is not meant to know. God is all-knowing, and humans tend to raise themselves on a pedestal when they believe they are "in the know," which is why I think God doesn't reveal certain things to us. We simply have to trust. P.S. Love the Tolkien reference!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...