Skip to main content

Don't Be the Mass Ordinary ;) -Brooke

      I think it is crazy how church services have become way more casual in the 2000s than any other time period. Church services during the Medieval time period were very structured with times to pray, sing, and fast and typically lasted all day with little breaks. All of their songs were of the mass ordinary and were to be sung in monophonic Gregorian chant and had no instruments. The lyrics of the chants were repetitive and very serious in their meanings. During this time, everyone was dressed in their finest attire since it was the "holy day" of the week. In contrast, I remember last Sunday at church many people were wearing blue jeans with t-shirts. The music was very typical contemporary Christian music with guitars, drums, a keyboard, and singers. The stage had different color fluorescent lights. The service lasted a little bit over a hour right before lunch time started, so we had adequate time to eat. 
    I think it is fine whatever way anyone chooses to worship as long it gives glory to God, but my concern is has church become too "comfortable." The setting and atmosphere of many churches nowadays can lead us to not meaningfully worship. Many churches say, "Come as you are." "We should come as we are" with a heart wanting to hear what God has in store for us. We need to quit blending in and start living apart from others. Romans 12:2 says, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-- his good, pleasing, and perfect will." 
I commented on Rachel and Ian's blogs. 

Comments

  1. I totally get what you are saying. God accepts us at our worst, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t come to him with our best.

    ~Madalyn Dillard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that some churches are too "comfortable" or "relaxed". While that does allow more freedom with worship and for it to be more personal, it can be too relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I was taking Introduction to Christian Worldview, we talked about how there are many churches that have become more like the world in order to attract said world. We discussed how modern-day Christianity has become much more commercialized; softening the blows of certain Biblical truths and skimming over the more convicting passages. While this strategy does attract many people, in the end, the church has failed them because they are merely encouraged to continue living their same life with no major consequences. In short, I think a modern-day revival is much needed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...