Skip to main content

Forgiveness and Confessing—Lily Caswell

 So as I was reading, the very first section of Book V hit me for some inexplicable reason. When Augustine said “If a man confesses to you, he does not reveal his inmost thoughts to you as though you did not know them. For the heart may shut itself away, but it cannot hide from your sight. Man’s heart may be hard, but it cannot resist the touch of your hand.” (Augustine, p 91) it just spoke to me. For me, confessing has always been something I’ve struggled with and I think a lot of people are in the same boat as I am. 1 John 1:9 says that “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (KJV) I think that the whole point of confessing is that God already knows what we’ve done but He wants us to acknowledge that what we did was wrong and that we have enough sense to ask for his forgiveness so that we won’t commit that same sin again (even though we always do). The point I think Augustine is trying to make is that no matter how much we sin, God is always pushing us in ways that we are not aware of to ask for His forgiveness. He said that “Whenever you will, your mercy or your punishment can make it relent, and just as none can hide away from the sun, none can escape your burning heat.” (p 91) God is always pushing us towards Him and His open arms, we just have to respond.

I commented on Isabelle’s post and Jamie’s post.

Comments

  1. I am with you in that boat Lily. Confessing is tough because we as human beings for the most part like to ignore our own imperfections. It's like it is the more evolved form of putting all our dirty clothes and junk under our beds when we were children. We want to make it look all clean to others and even ourselves, but deep down we know that we are hiding our mess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...