Skip to main content

Moderation Is The Key-Rachael Gregson



 Last week when we were doing blogs I felt like I needed to defend Augustine, Basil, and their warnings on making worship music all about us rather than all about God, but after reading this particular assignment, Augustine's overthinking is starting to concern me. He strikes me as the type that's always 100% hard on themselves. Perhaps that was one of the biggest obstacles keeping him from truly committing to God at first, and even when he got to actually know God, I bet it still preyed on his mind. I felt like he reflected a lot of his self-criticism on how God saw him and pictured Him to be this harsh Judge who discouraged him from feeling any joy from his senses. True, we should not trust everything that our senses have to offer. What looks good, feels good, tastes good etc. may not actually be good so to speak, but I do believe that we can actually appreciate and enjoy the wonders of our Father's creation through our physical senses. When I get pleasure from watching children play on a swing set, there's nothing wrong with achieving that pleasure; and when the wind blows right as I'm walking past some blossoms and I get peace and enjoyment from their sweet scent, there's also nothing wrong with that pleasure either. The key to it all is moderation, and to me St. Augustine seemed like the kind of guy who struggled with deciphering between a selfish "all about me" pleasure and an awestruck innocent pleasure that is just preoccupied with appreciating the sights of the world. Concerning worship music, it is harmful to go into it with the former viewpoint, but I think there's nothing wrong with getting personal enjoyment from listening to it like the latter suggests just as long as you never forget who that music's actually honoring in the first place. Pleasure isn't all wrong, nor does every kind of pleasure take away from God; it's the intentions behind pleasure that we have to watch out for.


I commented on blogs by Haley Riddle and Madalyn Dillard. 

Comments

  1. Rachel, you made some great points. I think we should find pleasure in worship music since it should be something we enjoy. If we did not take pleasure in worship music, we would be singing for no personal, spiritual benefit. In church today, the pastor talked about letting God steer us instead of allowing our flesh to control our impulses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...