Skip to main content

Presumption and Confession - Caroline Tucker

As I was reading Saint Augustine’s Confessions, I was convicted, intrigued at his thoughts, and inspired by his faith. I find it hard to write a blog post about the assigned reading because there is so much to write about. So, I will talk about one thing I found interesting.

In book VII section 20, St. Augustine speaks of his realization of the difference between the Platonist books he read and, as he puts it, “the Scriptures” (154). He speaks of this by saying that he is grateful to have read the Platonist books first because, “you wished me always to remember the impression they [the Platonist books] had made on me so that later on, when I have been chastened by your Holy Writ and my wounds have been touched by your healing hand” (154). Augustine speaks of the impression the Platonist books had on him and how the Scriptures disciplined his beliefs. I find this very interesting as I am reading a Platonist book currently. To think how Augustine was reading the books from his perspective is intriguing. As I am reading it, I can see how the Platonist books affected his life and how he was disciplined in his beliefs and opinions while reading Scripture. 

My favorite part of this section is when he says, “I should be able to see and understand the difference between presumption and confession...” (154). I think this is an interesting thought. In comparing Platonist thoughts with Christianity, I can see how important the distinction is when learning about Christianity from a Platonist perspective. Presumption, as most of you know, is the basis of an idea that is not certain. I like to think of it as the foundation of an assumption. Confession, on the other hand, is the admittance of a crime. In Platonist perspective, most beliefs are founded on presumption while Christianity is founded on faith and, in Augustine’s perspective, solidified with confession. That is the amazing difference between the two. Presumption is abstract while confession is solid. 

To conclude, I would like to leave the rest of St. Augustine’s very long sentence for my audience to chew on.“...between those who see the goal that they must reach, but cannot see the road by which they are to reach it, and those who see the road to that blessed country which is meant to be no mere vision but our home” (154)


I commented on Jackson’s and Haley Riddles’s posts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...