Skip to main content

Supernatural Faith in a Natural World

     "I realized that I was now thirty years old and was still floundering in the same quagmire, because I was greedy to enjoy what the world had to offer..." p. 126

       We spend our lives seeking (hopefully) truth and wisdom, but our imperfection prevents us from ever reaching these concepts. I find it so interesting that as Christians our goal is to find what is good and be "more like Jesus" even though we know we will never reach true goodness while on this earth. This perseverance truly sets us apart. We could easily remind ourselves that we will never be good enough, but our faith does not allow us to give up. Even the strongest believers deal with doubt and face temptations, yet we all know deep down that there is a greater purpose for our faith. 

        Obviously the purpose of Augustines Confessions is to confess and praise God for His patience and goodness. He spends page after page praising God. Something about this particular passage, though, struck me. Yes, God is good and He gives us reasons for our faith, but I think there is a supernatural element that helps us keep our faith as well. When we realize that God gives us purpose, it is easy to have faith. 

Comments

  1. I think purpose is a driving force behind a lot of beliefs and actions. The main thing that everyone wants is a purpose. I struggle sometimes because I want to be sure of my purpose for the future and I doubt myself. However, I do not doubt the purpose God has given me and that feels empowering.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...