Skip to main content

Windows to the Soul -- Abigale Bell

 


"So he opened his eyes, and his soul was stabbed with a wound more deadly than any which the gladiator, whom he was so anxious to see, had received in his body." (Augustine, 122)

We've all heard the saying, "...the eyes are the windows to the soul...". I think Augustine's words from book 6 of the Confessions are a great example of this idea.  When Augustine speaks of his friend Alypius, he explains the great temptation of gladiatorial games Alypius dealt with. It all began when he opened his eyes and allowed himself to become caught up in the excitement of the game; when he allowed his soul to be corrupted by the desire for excitement. 

"The din had pierced his ears and forced him to open his eyes, laying his soul open to receive the wound which struck it down." (Augustine, 122)

These words are reminiscent of a passage of scripture from Psalm 141. Verse 8 says, "But my eyes are upon You, O God the Lord; In You I take refuge; Do not leave my soul destitute."

Here, the psalmist clearly distinguishes the connection between the eyes and the soul. Augustine is admonishing that people be careful of what they look at, lest their soul should become corrupted. He shows how easy it is for one to become caught up in worldly pleasures and so damage the soul. The psalmist is pleading the inverse. He looks intently upon the Lord so that he will not be tempted by worldly pleasures. He worries that if his eyes leave God, his soul will be laid bare to the caustic temptations of the world. 

Another connection I made from this passage of the Confessions is to one of my favorite hymns. The chorus goes: "Turn your eyes upon Jesus; Look full in His wonderful face; And the things of earth will grow strangely dim; In the light of His glory and grace..." These words remind me that my eyes are truly windows to my soul. If I keep my gaze fixed on Him, the things of the world will grow "strangely dim" and my soul will be filled, instead, with His light. 

Commented on Braylan's and Emmett's posts.


Comments

  1. Your post explains the importance of keeping our eyes upon Jesus. I really enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how to tied the Bible verse to the passage from Augustine. We all know the saying "You are what you eat." But, we also are what we see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that we do need to keep our eyes on Jesus. If we focus on Him and not the things of this world, a lot of our problems would disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love how you wrote on keeping the eyes on the right thing-specifically Jesus-and the rest will be taken care of. It reminds me of a quote from a book I read a couple of years ago. It was called The Art of Racing in the Rain and it was ironically about a dog who wanted to race cars like his owner. In it, the dog says in regards to what he has observed about the sport, "In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that you pointed out the temptation of the games because I believe in today’s world there are so many things to be tempted by. It is hard to stay focused on our faith and not be tempted by the world around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...