Skip to main content

Does He Win or Nah? // Jackson Riddle

Of the various questions given to us I will be focusing on the topic of whether or not Beowulf won at the end of his life. After ascending to the throne to rule the Geats, Beowulf is faced with his third and final challenge: the dragon of the barrow. His pride is his eventual downfall as he recalls his days of glory fighting Grendel and Grendel's mother, a time when he was seemingly invincible and could take on both evil entities alone. But now, 50 years later, age has caught up to the valiant hero, and Beowulf is no longer the powerhouse he used to be. Regardless of how age has affected him, Beowulf insists on taking the dragon down alone, ultimately succeeding but dying in the process. 

Before determining whether or not Beowulf won this battle, I think it's important to take a step back and evaluate not just this singular encounter but the entirety of his life. He served as a defender and hero of the Danes by ridding the land of Grendel single-handedly, defeating what the entire army of the Danes could not (or simply refused to) fight. He continues his journey by killing Grendel's mother after she advances on the kingdom in vengeance of her murdered son, and finally he becomes king of the Geats and defeats the dragon that plagued his people. Yes, he did die in his clash with the dragon, which some might say makes the battle a draw considering both parties were defeated, but I believe Beowulf ultimately won not just this fight but won in his life. He helped rid a kingdom of its demon problem, which in turn reinforced the relationship between the Danes and the Geats. He served as a valiant leader of the Geats for 50 years and defeated the dragon that plagued the land, essentially serving as an example for those to come of what a true and noble leader should be. So yes, I believe Beowulf won.

Edit: I commented on Logan and Clabo's posts.

Comments

  1. I also believe that Beowulf won at the end of his life. I mean, not only did he defeat the dragon and save his people from that evil, he also learned a very important lesson that he is mortal. I feel as if this ending was a good moment to close out such a heroic story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...