Skip to main content

One shall stand, One shall fall // Ian Blair

     I usually have a little introduction into my thoughts about the reading for this week before I start with the actual blog part of my post, but I can't help but think about the bone-chilling realization that awaits us in Book VIII, so my introduction this time will be brief. It is my personal opinion that if people are imperfect, then we are only capable of imperfect systems and societies consequentially. However, this does not mean that we must not aim for the closest system to perfect that we can achieve. 

    The realization I wrote of earlier is the suggestion by Socrates that tyranny stems from the system we know as democracy. At first I disagreed, it is anarchism that causes tyrannical reign as a byproduct of fulfilling its purpose of overthrowing the current power and not establishing another system. All anarchism does is create a power vacuum for another power to take over and the cycle repeats itself, right? ...Right? Quickly after this initial reaction however, I remembered of how people such as Adolf Hitler rose to power in the midst of a war torn Germany by using his gifts in speech and deception to gain a following, and ultimately power. It was not through absolute decimation, but by mass manipulation that Hitler first formed his nazi party that then used force to assert control of the country. The next question to pose is where does the tyranny begin? The obvious answer comes from the end the discussion of democracy: 

"At last, when they observe the people attempting to wrong them---not voluntarily but because of ignorance and because they are misled by slander---they become oligarchs indeed. . .The consequences are  accusations, arraignments, and litigations of all kinds originating from either sides. . .And the people---is there not always the propensity to elevate and glorify one man as the people's protector and champion?. . .Then we have located the tyrant's point of entry into society." (Plato, 257). 

In order to prevent the order democracy represents and embodies from falling into chaos, the mass majority of people in said system must be informed and educated enough so that they can't be easily manipulated against the system. Too often in modern society we face the mass spread of misinformation simply because we do not exercise our civic duties of being the wisest and most intelligent citizens that we can be; and I for one am not yet ready to see the closest example to freedom that exist today fall into the ashes of chaos and humiliation.


P.s. I commented on Hailey Morgan's and Micah's posts.

Comments

  1. Ian, you wrote on a very good point. I think this is why we should always stay on top of what's going on in the world's current events. Two things can sucker people into handing too much control to their authorities: ignorance and complacency.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...