Skip to main content

Consistency- Jamie Peters

       Okay, that was a lot of new information, most of which I don't understand. The older I get and the more I meet people, the more I realize how diverse the world is, especially in Christianity. Everyone believes that they are doing Christianity the right way, whether it be in the music service, the preaching, or the teaching. I will forever be impressed by the intricacies of the Catholic branch of Christianity because their belief in what they are doing is right is structural. Every moment of the Mass, every moment of the year, every moment of the DAY is planned out specifically so that its followers are constantly in God's presence. 

       This concept of structured belief is foreign to the ears of Protestants like me. Because of sin in the world, the possibility of this lifestyle becoming corrupted is certain, and it has shown itself time and time again (say what you want, but the Crusades were anything but Christian). Before reading these articles on how each part of the liturgical year is intricately designed to point to Christ, I had assumed that Roman Catholicism had been wrong since the beginning, but I was wrong. I still do not agree with their old tradition of only the teachers having Bibles, but now I see that they expressed the message of the Gospel to the masses in an easy-to-remember way. It is evident that much of their inspiration comes from Psalm 119:11: " I have treasured Your word in my heart, so that I may not sin against You."


I commented on Hailey Morgan's and Jessef's posts.

Comments

  1. Hi Jamie! I love your post! Your words express my feelings as I read about the history of liturgy in the Catholic Church. The musical structure, though Greek to me, demonstrated a reverence of God and His Word which is often lost on Christians today. The Catholic's intentionality in recognizing every part of the liturgical year is a testament to their faith and devotion. This is something I think modern day Protestant Christians could learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, your post was really good. I love the point you made about realizing that Catholicism has a place in our Church history, because so many people do not realize that. Although Catholicism has strayed from the Bible throughout recent history does not change the fact that a lot of Bible doctrine is based on original Catholic though (such as St. Augustine). So I am glad that you pointed that out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...