Skip to main content

The Grieving Woman- Caroline Tucker

 I enjoyed reading Beowulf and discussing the text in class. There are several interesting questions and thoughts that come from reading an awesome work of poetry like this one. While reading, I noticed a few random things that I do not necessarily understand why they are in the text. They seem to be added in randomly with little to no point. If they are in the text, they must be of some importance. However, I do not understand the importance. 

The main time I saw this was near the end of the text where it says, “A Geat woman to sing out and grief; /  with hair bound up, she unburden herself / with her worst fears, a wild litany / of nightmare and lament: her nation invited, enemies on the rampage, bodies in piles, slavery and abasement” (3150-3155). This quote is after Beowulf has died and they have had his funeral. I was surprised to see this quote. It seems random. The author does not express who this woman is in specifics, only that she is a Geat. Initially, I did not understand why it was included. It did not make sense to randomly mention someone grieving. But, what pushed my curiosity further was the fact that it is a woman. Why did the author put a woman as the figure of grief in this section of the text? Why an individual woman instead of a group of people? Why do you think the author put this section in?


P.s. I commented on Jamie’s and Braylan’s posts.

Comments

  1. When I read it, I imagined that it was the mother or relative of someone who had lost someone they loved. I also figured the author probably portrayed a woman this way is because men tend to hide their feelings because of a sense of "manliness." That woman was expressing how many actually felt I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think by giving the detail that she is a women, one can see that she was not close to Beowulf in terms of being either his relative or a close soldier. She was an ordinary citizen who understood that the loss of her king could mean the loss of her whole nation and way of life. The death of their leader was an invitation to other nations to attack. She expresses what I believe everyone is fearing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...