Skip to main content

Good and Evil, Fact and Opinion ~ Emmett Bryant

     What is good and what is evil? Some people would have us believe that there is no definite good or evil and others would also contend that there are concrete definitions for good and evil. But in the case of Beowulf, is Grendel's mother evil? Does she exhibit good qualities or bad qualities? Her story is not very black and white in my opinion and if her story had been told from a different perspective then perhaps we would be more sympathetic for her and share in her grief. She was not some wild beast attacking people solely for the act of attacking. She was retaliating. Her child had been taken from her, so surely she was motivated by sadness and a feeling of loss. 

    Does that excuse the damage and heartache she caused for other people? Of course not. As the old adage says, "Two wrongs don't make a right." You could look at the situation from another perspective. If the townspeople were not going to bring justice for the death of her son, then who would? Surely she would take judgement into her own hands if she saw that it was not being delivered adequately. She did just that, and because of that she was made out to be evil. Like I said, I am not trying to excuse the wrong she did, I am simply trying to view it in the context of the circumstances through which she had suffered. 

    Too often we view people in a negative light because we see nothing but the current wrong they have committed. We refuse to admit that they themselves were victims of an external event. And when someone wrongs us personally, we want them to be punished for it without question not even considering all the times we have avoided punishment that we have rightly deserved. So in the story of Beowulf, my heart sympathizes with Grendel's mother, because she responded to someone else's evil with evil she is seen as the villain and I don't think it should be so. 

I commented on Caroline Tucker's post and Leanne White's post. 

Comments

  1. Hi Emmett! Interesting idea. Looking at the story from the perspective of Grendel's mother, it is easier to see her loss and sympathize. It is true that discerning good and evil is difficult in some situations. I do, however, think the reaction is what makes the difference. Grendel's mother reacted in outrage and grief. She sought revenge for her son's death. Her actions made her evil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your post! I wrote something similar last week. I honestly think that she was evil for what she did, but only because revenge is not a righteous act. Without the context of sin and God, there is no right and wrong, and we can easily make the argument that she was completely justified in what she did.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of Wisdom, Not Power—Lily Caswell

In Book VIII of Plato’s Republic, Socrates talks about the possibility of having a well-governed city. However, he also talks about how that particular form of government is impossible to have. A well-governed city becomes a possibility only if you can discover a better way of life for your future rulers than holding office.” (Plato, p 215) Maybe his version of a better life was for those in office to not be lovers of power, since it would then become a fight among rival lovers. Socrates gets to the point that the only rulers who don’t love power are true philosophers. Philosophers are lovers of wisdom and knowledge and not power, ergo they are the perfect rulers. Absolute power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely, so I’m thinking that maybe the trick to being a good ruler is for you to be a philosophical person who loves wisdom and not power. I commented on Jamie’s and Isabelle’s posts.

Oedipus’ Children/Siblings—Lily Caswell

Ok, so Oedipus is a bit of a train wreck to say the least. I love the fact that even after Oedipus found out about his less-than-appealing relationship with his mother, he still tried to look after his children/siblings. After he gouged his eyes out, his children came to him at which point Oedipus talked about how that when they were old enough to marry, no one would want them due to them being products of incest. He said for the people not to condemn them based on what their father had done. Even after he knew what he had done and what his children were, he still wanted the best for them. I commented on Logan’s and Ian’s posts.

Dystopian Origins Uncovered ////// Isabelle Ferguson

  I think that ideas eventually run out of originality and circle back to the original idea. During this week's reading, many of Socrates’ suggestions for a place of perfection reminded me of some novels I’ve read depicting dystopian worlds. Disclaimer: There are spoilers ahead. You have been warned.        To begin, in  The  Giver  by Lois Lowry censorship is a major theme. The novel is centered around a boy who is receiving memories withheld from the population! The government in The Giver is especially careful to censor the memories that may cause strife, anger, fear, sadness, etc. In the adults, this society is cemented. So, the government is especially strict with the youth. Socrates talks about verses to “obliterate” to prevent the descriptions from doing “harm to our future warriors” for the better half of Book III (Plato, page 44). The warriors he speaks of are the youth. He goes on to list the multitude of verses that should be done ...